Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Erotica

Okay, let's get honest...

I am always slightly uncomfortable when writing "sex scenes".

I am not prude. I worked in an adult video store for several years during college. I've seen tapes that might or might not blow your mind (or something else). I've read some pretty crazy material in the adult magazine racks.

But when it comes to writing, my brain sputters and farts. Attractive, right?

In an effort to get over this "hurdle" I have taken to reading some e-rotica (bad joke, sorry) online. It's been eye opening. I've learned that the BSDM scene (at least in the literary sense) isn't all about domination. In certain situations, it's about caring for the person in a manner that ensures they feel safe and secure.

Anyhow, I recently purchased a book at the Lyrical Press entitled The Reluctant Dom by Tymber Dalton. I wasn't sure if I'd like the material, but I'm all for reading outside your comfort zone and expanding your horizons. What I didn't expect was to absolutely LOVE the story, and trust me, it is a story!

The premise is this - A dying husband asks his best friend to step into his shoes to care for and Master his wife - his slave - so that she has a safe place to fall when he passes. The friend, who knows nothing of their lifestyle, is understandably hesitant. But when he watches them enact a "scene" together, and learns about her past, agrees.

Nothing in this situation is "normal" and you know what? I believed all of it because I could totally see something like this happening.

I won't go into details because I'm terrible about divulging little nuggets that can and probably would ruin a story, but I will say this one really shook me. I thought about it hours after I'd finished that last sentence and am still thinking about it today.

It is erotica and does contain some explicit sex scenes, but the story and the characters are so real...If you're into this kind of reading (or even if you're not) give it a shot.

0 comments: