Monday, December 7, 2009

Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between

I'm almost afraid to post this, as epirates will undoubtedly see, but I suppose there's not help for it. I have a release date for Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between, my full length urban fantasy at Eternal Press: January 7th, 2010.

Here's the blurb:

One bad corpse can ruin your whole day. No one knows that better than Rhiannon Murphy.

She’s left behind the flash and sass of Miami for the no-nonsense groove of New York City, eager for a clean slate and a fresh start. A bartender by trade, a loud mouth by choice, and a necromancer by chance; she’s managed to keep her nifty talent hidden from those around her – until now.

The deliciously good-looking vampire Disco knows her secret, and when he strolls into her bar to solicit help investigating the mysterious disappearances of his kind from the city, she discovers he’s not the kind of person that appreciates the significance of the word no.

But in a world where vampires peddle their blood as the latest and greatest drug of choice, it’s only a matter of time before the next big thing hits the market. Someone or something is killing vampires to steal their hearts, and unlike Rhiannon, this isn’t their first stroll around the undead block.

Excerpt #1

I released an exaggerated sigh and lowered my head, dropping my guard just long enough for Disco to make his move. His cold hand grasped my arm and my chin jolted up.

“We need to talk.”

“Let go of me, Disco.” I would have attempted to yank free but I’d only embarrass myself. Vampires are strong, unbelievably strong, and his grip would be as unbreakable as steel.

“Only if you promise we can talk.” His blue eyes flashed, striking against his pale skin and golden blond hair. His face was smooth, his jaw strong and squared. With high cheekbones, a straight lean nose, and full lips, he would forever be a twenty-something looker frozen in time.

“Not here.” I glanced around. No one had noticed our little chat yet. I couldn’t afford to lose my job. Personal relations during office hours were a big no-no.

“Where?” His grip loosened and he studied me.

“After close, meet me outside, around the back.”

I waited until he let go before I turned and strode back to the bar. I returned to my spot, apologizing and pouring a free one for the unlucky schmuck with a purple thumb. Tonight was not going to be a good night, and it wasn’t even over yet.

I glared at the clock—12:58am. Wonderful.

I was on for another hour, and instead of making the gym for some quality muscle burn, I had a meeting with a guy who scared the piss out of me.

Excerpt #2

I took my time walking down Goose’s street. Brooklyn Heights was a nice area and relatively safe to wander alone. It was quiet now, with only a few people walking across the street. I unwittingly drifted into Never-Never-Land, combining thoughts about my past, present, and future. Things didn’t turn out the way I thought, and I wasn’t sure how I’d reached this point. Now I was here, I didn’t know what to do or expect.

I thought of Disco, and that wrenching sensation of being torn in two overwhelmed me—something that happened each time I pictured his face or those heavenly golden blue eyes. I had never been so conflicted in my life. Normally I knew exactly where I stood in situations, but not so much anymore. The black and white areas that governed my decisions just took on a huge middle ground of grey.

My daftness proved to be my undoing yet again. I thwacked into an older woman with her mixed breed ankle biter, our shoulders knocking each other off course. I took the “watch where the fuck you’re going” in stride, nodding and muttering a half-assed apology, eager to get downwind of the Icy Hot wafting from her body and into my nose.

I closed my eyes and groaned when I heard chuckling. Disco was gentleman enough to laugh out loud instead of startling the piss out of me, but it didn’t erase the fact he was laughing. Being humiliated always made me cranky.

“You do have a short attention span,” he teased.

I glanced up. He was waiting on the stairs, eyes sparkling in amusement. Dear God, would I always find ways to look like an asshole in his presence?

I was grateful I’d decided to make the extra effort with my appearance because he had too. He was dressed in black as usual, but in a different style, and without the trench coat. The shirt was a nice long sleeve button down, the collar open around his throat. He’d also left his honey-blond hair unkempt and I worried he might have read my mind that night when I’d thought about just how amazing it made him look.

“Laugh it up,” I sighed.

He was busy taking me in, starting at my feet and working his way up. He approved of my change of attire and wanted me to know it, taking his time and allowing his eyes to linger. I looked away, annoyed by my awkwardness.

“You look delectable.” He used his uncanny speed to close the distance between us. I gazed up into his eyes, utterly transfixed by the shifting colors. “I’m going to buy an entire wardrobe consisting of things just like this for you.”

How do you respond to a remark like that? I had no clue, and at the present moment, I didn’t care. His close proximity made me remember that heat I experienced on the couch in his foyer, and this time I couldn’t completely fault the blood. I was attracted to Disco whether I wanted to be or not, and he knew it. The smart thing to do would have been to back away, but I didn’t want to. That grey area expanded, melding black and white together until there was no concept of right or wrong.

3 comments:

Kaye Manro said...

This sounds really good Jaime. I love your excerpt.

Pirates? I hope they leave you alone now!

Come blog with me closer to your release date. Email me with when.

Cari Quinn said...

Yay on your release date! We'll have to do an interview on my blog soon. :)

Oh, and the excerpts really whetted my appetite! UF and a bit of sexy snark from JA Saare is a great combo. :)

Shelley Munro said...

Sounds great, Jaime. I enjoyed the excerpts. :-)