Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Ripple Effect: Done


As of today, The Ripple Effect is done. It's true I still have to write the epilogue, but as you know my endings only wrap things up and prepare readers for the next book. What can I say about The Ripple Effect? Well, for one, it nearly killed me. I thought The Renfield Syndrome was bad...WRONG.

I've always been a pantser, meaning I allow the characters to dictate what happens when I write. I have a general idea of where things are going, but I never quite "know" what will take place. I didn't see several things coming in this book, including something that totally blindsided me. I kept wanting to go back and rewrite the scene, to change what happens. Yet in the end, as much as it sucked, I felt what I wrote made sense. It's weird, but sometimes I think my mind knows all along where a story is going to go but doesn't show me the light until it's ready.

I know some fans will hate me, but I hope they can understand that authors don't always have it easy. Just because a character belongs to us, it doesn't mean what happens to them is something we necessarily want. It's just what happens when you allow the story to take over, to breathe on its own. As a consequence, Edge of Darkness (book four in the series) has changed. I'm going to take a breather from Rhiannon for a while to wrap up projects for Ellora's Cave (including Enemy Mine, for those who have asked). I'll return to her later this year.

Thank you again for all your support, for being so wonderful, and for supporting my work. I truly hope you enjoy the third book. If you like things dark and unexpected, The Ripple Effect should be up your alley. *fingers crossed*

P.S. The Ripple Effect will release this summer. I do not have a precise release date but when I receive one I'll pass it along.

15 comments:

Bells said...

YAY!!! You know I can't wait to read this! I'm so excited for you as well as the readers.

Jamie said...

Yeah - so excited! Can't wait to read it!

Addicted2Heroines said...

This post has me excited as well but also very, very nervous. My imagination is creating several different unpleasant scenarios right now. I can't wait to see what happens.

Smash Attack Ash said...

I am READY! ♥

liss3 said...

Does that mean someone's going to die ? Oh no, but I'll have all this time to prepare :) Can't wait!

Emmy said...

Wowsa... I bet it's going to be great. You write it, I'll read it. I'm just along for the ride and whatever surprises come along the bend.

Scott Romanski said...

Congrats Jaime! As far as readers hating you, i can't see it happening. If you are true to the characters and the story, that is what counts. :)

Sharon Stogner said...

Yay! the anticipation is going to be excruciating, but that is what I love about series in general :)

MamaKitty said...

YAYYYYY! Happyface that it's done! Sadface that it nearly killed you though. I'm gonna have to have a talk with Disco, Paine, & Rhiannon. LOL Many hugs to you and I can't wait to read it!!! xoxoxo

Miss Vain said...

I am freaking out over here Jamie...:(

Twimom227 said...

Glad you got it done. I'm taking your "warning" to heart. I may not be able to read this one.

Beth Woodward said...

So excited about this one. And as a fellow pantser, I get exactly what you're saying

J.A. Saare / Aline Hunter said...

I'm sorry I'm so behind responding! I wanted to take a minute, sending you all enormous hugs, and thank you for stopping by and saying such sweet things. I adore all of you. *hugs*

I should be back on track by February *fingers crossed*. Thank you for keeping me sane and keeping me writing! <3 <3

Unknown said...

We were on the KLB Tour and were BLOWN AWAY by the Renfield Syndrome! I am so excited to get The Ripple Effect. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait!!!!

Things happen in books, just as in real life that we sometimes don't like but have to deal with.....it just makes the twists and turns more interesting.

Congratulations!!!

Tessa said...

I'm getting nervous about the darkness in the book. I guess I can only hope you keep one of them (Disco or Paine) for her. It should definitely be a "Rhiannon's Law"!